Skip to main content

At the Gym in Germany

One of the first things I do when I move somewhere, is find a gym. Even though I've never been one to make friends with people I meet through the gym, it somehow feels familiar, and helps me get into my familiar routine of being able to regularly work out, no matter the weather.

When I moved to San Francisco 14 years ago, as an AmeriCorps volunteer on an extremely tight budget, I did monthly trials for nearly every gym in the city (this could warrant its own blog post). No matter the neighborhood - if I could take a bus there, I would try it out for a month. It worked for a while, until I eventually convinced my boyfriend (now husband) to sponsor membership to a place near my apartment until I could afford it myself. What a guy.

Flash forward to moving to Mainz, and I learned my company had a fitness reimbursement plan and discounts already available, with Fitness First. There was one within running / bus distance to our flat, so I tried it out and quickly signed a contract. At the time, it was one of a few shops in town - I also signed up for the premium plan, which (optimistically for me) allowed me access to all of their clubs across Germany. I never really used this, and have since downgraded the plan to only one club, only entry before 16:00 daily. I've also since purchased a 10-punch card for a gym near my house, with a parking lot & better hours. At 15 euros / workout though, it isn't cheap.

Here are 6 things I've learned about fitness studios here, some of which surprised me and some aspects that weren't so different from home:

1. You'll need to sign a contract. In my experience, the terms can be changed (negotiating the price, adding on premiums) at any time but to cancel, you need to provide 3 months' advance written notice. Sport Treff and some other gyms now offer punch cards (no contract!) but it will definitely cost more per-workout.

2. Most often, childcare is included - no additional cost! Although my kids swiftly rejected me leaving them in gym childcare (I've rarely heard of friends having good experiences with this, although other gym-goers I've seen manage ok), it's a fantastic option to have.

3. There's usually a sauna in the back. Not that I ever leave time to use it, but it's nice that it's there & feels very luxurious if I do take 5 minutes to use it.

4.  Community showers for women. This was new for me and I took a long time to get used to the open-ness. Now (I think also post-babies) I just don't have the time to bother caring, but I do miss having a little more privacy.

5. Working out itself is the same - machines, weights, classes, etc. Maybe that's why I love the familiarity aspect so much. Although I haven't seen perks like towel service or the latest hot workout course available in our clubs, the basics are always there and instructors are always good.

6. When women walk into the locker room, they say hi to the room and bye when they leave. It's a really nice gesture and happens in the doctor's office waiting rooms too. Just a quick 'Guten Tag' or a 'Ciao', and then on your way.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Perfect Days in and around Hamburg

Road trip time! Hamburg is about 5 hours (plus kids = 7ish) north of where we live, and we had never seen the region... summer holiday seemed the perfect time. We drove up on a Monday, returning on Thursday, with 2 days in the city and one at a fruit farm in Jork. This region, apparently, produces the most fruit in western Europe! I bet it's gorgeous in spring. Day 1: We tried out wimdu for an apartment just north of the city. The price was right, the location was great, and the owners were incredibly nice. It was a bit tight for four of us (mostly because the kids wanted to stay up late with us / not sleep), but worked fine for the short visit. We had made afternoon reservations for Miniatur Wunderland , so we took our time getting to the city. We drove in, parking at Contipark (max 12 euros/ day, better than other lots that max out at 20 euros/day or so), which are all over central Hamburg. The plan was to walk through the warehouse district and make our way to Landungsb

Saturday Morning Comparisons: by haiku

2 haikus 9 am Sunday morning in downtown Austin: Cyclists in spandex spin by Amidst the stench of vomit and homelessness Empty streets save for a motorcycle parade. 9 am Sunday morning, Alstadt, Mainz: The sun is shining A giant farmer's market fills the plaza Pedestrians, bikers, families smiling together.

6 Months In (almost)

We're coming up to our 6th month here. It feels especially poignant because our kindergartener finished his first semester in an American school. And boy was that first day full of tears. That day, that week, I think the whole month - every dropoff for every kid, every whatsapp text from a friend back home - anything set me off with this horrible guilty feeling that we had made a terrible mistake. (Full disclosure: I still feel like this nearly every day, but at least I'm not in daily tears about it...?) I'll never forget that first day of kindergarten. Staying at a dumpy (yet somehow $120/night) hotel with a free breakfast (truly, free breakfast at American hotels is the saddest breakfast), our son asked us to pack him a lunch. How? I asked him to please buy, it would be warm, he could eat well, and ... I didn't have a kitchen. He said, how about an egg sandwich? I put together the saddest egg sandwich I'd ever seen: 2 dry pieces of toast (no matter how much I ad